This morning rocked! Marcus opened Valley Lutheran High School’s career day with a big, fat, bang – and I had the opportunity to present on photography and missions.
To quickly recap some valuable basics for anyone looking to break into the industry, I’ve listed my personal must knows.
- BE SPECIFIC! Choose a niche, and work it. Whether it’s sports, fashion, weddings, or commercial – shoot what you love, so you love what you do.
- RECOGNIZE, FOO! Making money often requires spending money. Your initial investments can be substantial, and this is a huge turnoff for many people. Buuuut think about it… the most successful people are typically the ones who take risks!
- BE SMART! Some professionals may disagree, but I think standing out and doing WELL in the wedding industry requires business savvy. Too many great artists neglect a business foundation, and subsequently fail.
- ASK! Reach out to industry professionals for insight, work opportunities, and help. No one knew everything when they started. So ask.
- SHOOT! Ask friends and family to be your models. Put effort into locations, clothing, themes, whateva! Just SHOOT! You’ll see improvements every time. Plus, it’s a great portfolio builder to show potential clients.
- BEFRIEND! Any artistic industry is going to be competitive at a certain level, but surrounding yourself with like-minded colleagues/friends will give you the support, help, and encouragement you’re sure to need.
- GIVE! Give of your time, gifts and heart. There’s little to regret about helping others succeed.
Hopefully those tips benefited someone. Anyone. Anyone? Here’s a shot my main squeeze took during one of the talks. I may not LOOK cool, but rest assured, I am.
As an attempt to be bomb, I opened the comments for a Priiiiz-zize! That’s “prize”, for the uncool. Leave a comment in the box below, and I’ll be randomly selecting a name next Tuesday to win A FREE PORTRAIT SESSION! Valley Lutheraners – get your friends in on it! You might end up the talk of the town
Contest is open to everyone, so, get busy commenting, and I’ll get busy playing with Paisley! Oh, you wanted to see a picture of the greatest dog in the world? Well, I guess if I haaaave to…